How to Join Cardinal
CBOA is always
recruiting officials - both new & experienced - to join our ranks and help the organization better serve our clients. Officials may apply to join CBOA as Applicants, Transfers or Juniors.
- Applicants are prospective officials with limited to no officiating experience. Applicants may also include experienced officials who are returning after an extended hiatus from working basketball games.
- Transfers are individuals who are members in good standing of another basketball officials association.
- Juniors are individuals under 18 years of age who want to learn how to officiate basketball.
Application instructions for each category can be found below. For questions about joining CBOA, please contact Mike Preston, CBOA Interpreter, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notice - the Fall 2018 Applicant Training Program is currently underway and not accepting additional participants. Please complete the Interest Form (linked below) to receive information on the next training opportunity.
First -- Complete & Submit this brief Interest Form. Once completed, CBOA will have your contact email and can provide details on future training sessions.
Applicants must complete the following requirements to become eligible for active membership in CBOA:
- Graduation of the CBOA Applicant Training Class, hosted between Sept & Nov each fall.
- Registration & payment of all relevant CBOA & VHSL exams, fees, dues and other assessments. Note - Financial Aid may be available in some cases.
- Approval of the Training & Education Committee.
As part of the CBOA transfer process, you will need to complete the following steps before you can be evaluated and assigned games by CBOA.
Once these steps are completed and verified, our Vice President (Mr. Bach-Hansen) will schedule your floor evaluation.
- Complete the CBOA Membership Application and forward soft copy to email@example.com.
- Pay the annual CBOA membership fees (currently $75, fiscal year June 1 - May 31).
- Mail your application, Ethics/HUDL Form and annual dues payment to CBOA, PO Box 239, Merrifield, VA 22116-0239.
- Provide a letter of good standing from your current board Secretary or Assigner (email is acceptable), verifying that you are a member in good standing of said board and met all of the requirements to officiate HS basketball.
- You are also required to register with the Virginia High School League (VHSL) via The Whistle program. Each individual official will be responsible for his/her own registration.
Prospective officials under the age of 18 should follow the instructions for Applicants as listed above. In accordance with VHSL regulations, Junior members are not eligible to officiate VHSL contests. Junior members become Active members upon attainment of their 18th birthday, approval of the Training & Education Committee, and successful completion of all other requirements for Active membership.